I am Jack's Smirking Revenge

little, yappy dogs

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Kane and Lynch: Dead Men Can't Jump

So, I download this game demo. I'm fond of game demos, as you get to kick the tires before finding out the game was tuned for a button mashing 13-year old.

Anyway, this nearly painless download (608mb, as opposed to most new games which are upwards of a gig... just for the demo) turns out to have a fatal flaw.

The wizards at Eidos and IO Interactive have managed to ship their game demo out without mapping the jump key. Ten seconds of gameplay and then...? You're stuck at a knee-high ledge you're supposed to continue past, but... to no avail. Jump does not exist in the key mapping menu.

Your 608mb will not be much fun until that gets fixed, Kane and Lynch... even though I do suspect this one to be a game my 13-year-old friend would appreciate more than me.

4 Comments:

At January 10, 2008 4:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 11, 2008 8:00 PM, Blogger Will Von Wizzlepig said...

I had a comment from someone pretending to be one of the game developers here, and I'm afraid I just don't buy it.

If said developer would look through the PC control key mapping screen, they'd find no jump or climb or any other similar control for the character to get up the ledge I mentioned.

Pretty silly.

 
At January 15, 2008 7:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's called the "Use" key in the mappings list. It's used for all interactions with the environment.

Press the "E" key (by default) to step up on the ledge after talking to your team. Or press the "A" button if you have an Xbox 360 controller connected.

Then move to the floating rappel icon and press it again to rappel down the side of the building.

Whether or not I'm one of the devs doesn't really matter, although you can verify it by resolving my IP address to the ioi.dk domain.

I was just trying to help.

 
At February 01, 2008 9:30 AM, Blogger Will Von Wizzlepig said...

Ok. I am a skeptical dick sometimes. Sorry about that.

Thank you for returning to help, however, as a long time game player and major fan of FPS games (such as Thief, system shock, etc), I did everything in my power to make that guy climb up on the ledge. No game demo is going to get the better of me. Dammit.

Whilst standing with the ledge before me, icon in my face, I pressed every key on the keyboard. Then went into the controls screen and made sure I wasn't missing something. Then I did it again. Then I asked my girlfriend to look over my shoulder and see if I wasn't missing something in the menu. Then I tried it again. Literally: every key. And, as if that wasn't enough, after you posted here, I went back into the demo and did it again.

Nada.

I have to assume either the demo had trouble on my machine, or that's just not such and easy bit to get to work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home